Monday, February 11, 2008

Vegan Tofu Takoyaki

Takoyaki is a Japanese dish that translates to "fried octopus balls." And that's "balls" as in the shape of dish! It is a piece of octopus covered in batter and cooked in special takoyaki-iron that produces the ball shape. Osaka is very famous for its takoyaki.



I decided to translate & alter an authentic Japanese tofu takoyaki recipe so that the rubbery filling is a mushroom! I'm a genius, I know.



Ingredients:
1 tub of 14 oz extra firm tofu, drained & pressed
14 small-medium sized white button mushrooms, extruding stem bottoms cut off
1/4 heaping cup of flour

Ingredients PART 2:
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp pickled ginger, chopped (or 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
1 Tbsp golden sesame seeds

frying oil
metal tongs

Toppings (opt)- Use all of these for an authentic eating experience (I did leave out the fish flakes though!):
-Okonomiyaki sauce (available at any Asian grocer- check ingredients) BBQ sauce is an acceptable substitute
-mayo, drizzled
-nori (seaweed) flakes


I say 14 mushrooms, but in reality, you may use more or less depending on the size of your mushrooms

1. Heat oil on medium in a deep dish pan to start to heat up.

2. In a large mixing bowl, mix all of PART 2 from the ingredients.

3. Crumble tofu into same mixing bowl. Mix well with hands, fork, potato masher, etc. Make sure the tofu is finely mashed. No chunks.

4. Mix in flour well. It should thicken into a "dough" immediately.




5. Take a palm full of dough and place a mushroom on top of it.




6. Start to work the dough around the mushroom until "just covered." Squeeze around between your cupped palms to distribute the dough around more evenly. This also squishes out any excess air.



7. Place in hot oil. Fry a minute each side until golden. Turn using a pair of tongs. (If you didn't have a lot of oil/deep pan like me, you may have to turn the mushroom on its side to cook as well).




8. Place on paper towel to drain excess oil.

Enjoy with your toppings!

14 comments:

Steffi said...

I'm so going to make this- I never thought vegan takoyaki are possible!

Rachel Swetnam said...

OH wow! those look good! They look really easy too.

Anonymous said...

You are a genius! I don't think I ever had takoyaki before but the vegan ones look great!

Anonymous said...

Jhenn, I hereby formally extend my proposal of marriage to you.

Truly, you are a Goddess.

Anonymous said...

Damn, Sarah beat me to it!

Anonymous said...

indeed, you are a genius. I love the sound of these. Now, do you think they could be half as good if they were baked? I have a fear that once I start deep frying food, I'll never stop.

Anonymous said...

WOW THAT'S AMAZINGGG
question, can i bake these?? because frying is so unhealthy...!

smaller said...

Thank you so much for creating this! I'm a terrible cook, but twice I successfully made these! They were delicious - I only wish I would remember to double the recipe next time, because I eat them so fast. :D

Question - what do you suggest doing with the leftover mushroom stems? I hate to waste them, and I'm too new at the cooking thing (much less the vegan cooking) to have any ideas.

Vegan Ronin said...

You could add the mushroom stems to a stir fry, or make a mushroom broth for stock or soup!

Bou Shin said...

I was going to buy a takoyaki pan to use with my own recipe but looking at this recipe it looks like I don't have to! Thank you. ^^

Unknown said...

can this be done in takoyaki pan? or does it have to be deep fried?

Unknown said...

So happy, I can't wait to make this ^-^ Yay for vegan takoyaki.


Weird Takoyaki, something other than octopus is inside. <from Persona 3 XD

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh this was so yummy! You can bake it (I did it at 375 for about 25 minutes) though they kinda fall apart after you take then off the pan they are still super yummy, I added a bit more salt and some pepper to the ground tofu, and brushed the takoyaki with sesame oil before baking them ^-^ I'll probably try it fried latter, though I am a little worried that won't be enough to cook the mushrooms through so I might bake them separately a bit first.

The mushrooms taste the same as the mushrooms they put on pizza so if you like those you should like these, pretty mild and adds a savory flavor to the tofu.

Takosan said...

sorry takoyaki is not supposed to be fried, but cooked in special griddle. Yaki meaning is baked