Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Baked Tomatoes

A co-worker generously gave me a bunch of tomatoes. I knew I couldn't finish them off before they went bad so I decided to try my hand a baked 'maters. I have no idea what they are supposed to taste like, but in a way that let's me play with it more.

First thing:
Cut the top off the tomatoes and hollow them out. sprinkle salt on the inside and turn upside down to drain. After an hour, pat the inside of the tomato with a paper towel. Now they are ready for stuffin'!

I sauteed some finely chopped veggies (onion, pepper, mushroom, carrot) and split them into 3 different piles.

Mix 1/3 with precooked rice (I use brown).
Mix 1/3 with cornmeal mixed with hot water (corn mush)
Mix 1/3 with panko (Japanese bread crumbs)

Stuff!

I covered them with foil and put in the toaster oven about 350F/175C for 15 minutes-ish. I took the foil off and continued cooking for about 5-10 min to get a crunchy top.



Left: Cornmeal
Right: Rice
Back: Panko

Verdict: I didn't like the rice one, very plain. The Cornmeal one was the best, very flavorful.. the panko followed with a very close second.

No comments: